During the Qing Dynasty, Nuannuan was the center of Shihding-bao, one of the 4 baos of Taipeh Prefecture, and was one of the earliest towns in northeastern Taiwan. The name Nuannuan originated from “Loanloan” settlement of the Ketagalan people, immigrants from Quanzhou, Fujian who moved here for reclamation during the early Qing era.
Japanese Colonial Era:
After China’s defeat in the Sino-Japanese War, Taiwan and Penghu were ceded to Japan. Nuannuan was under the administration of Kirun Sub-prefecture, Taihoku Prefecture and became the 20th district of Kirun Prefecture in 1900. After the practice of the self-governance system in 1920, the 3 districts of Wudu, Maling and Nuannuan were merged into Qidu Village and went under the administration of the Kirun District, Taihoku Prefecture.
Founding of Nuannuan District after Restoration:
After Japan was defeated and surrendered in 1945, Taiwan and Penghu were restored by its motherland. The government transformed villages into townships and districts (gun) into districts (qu). By then, Nuannuan was under the administration of Qidu Township, Keelung District, Taipei County. Given that citizens from Nuannuan and Badu pleaded with the government to found Nuannuan District and put it under the administration of Keelung City, Qidu Township, it formally came under the administration of Keelung City on Jan. 18, 1947. Later on, due to the increasing population, the government took to respecting the people’s opinion and local self-governance convenience into consideration, 7 villages including Badu, Nuannuan and others were separated from Qidu District to form the Nuannuan District on Feb. 1, 1949.